What type of course is it?
The Diploma in Technology Commericalisation is a part-time programme which seeks to improve Ireland’s expertise in Technology Commercialisation and to train the next generation of individual entrepreneurs focused on high technology with the skills they need to make the most of their R&D effort. Through a combination of teaching delivery methods, curricular structure, and a practicum requirement in venture creation, this programme hopes to produce the next generation of individual entrepreneurs focused on high technology products and processes.
The course is targeted at mid to upper level managers responsible for technology commercialisation, research programme management and business development in both private and public sector organisations. The diploma will be of interest to all industries and students with a keen interest in technology commercialisation and especially those organisations directly involved in innovation, marketing and technology.
How will I benefit?
The diploma will provide information and guidance to you, as a potential entrepreneur, the business planning skills and knowledge needed to commercialise new technologies, products and services, and to secure project finance. You will participate in project activities that will aid your understanding of the commercialisation options available to an identified venture. It will also enhance your understanding of venture capital financing, business management, marketing and technology development. In addition, this course will provide networking opportunities with individuals, companies and agencies involved in Technology Commercialisation.
On completion of the programme, students will have:
- developed an understanding of the technology commercialisation process
- identified technology based business opportunities, with particular focus on how to assess their market potential and how to judge their appeal to the venture capital community
- established the importance of innovation in the exploitation of new technological developments and the transfer process for this technology to enable commercialisation
- gained an understanding of the importance of intellectual property and patenting as a key element of commercialisation
The programme is delivered over a twelve month period on a part-time basis. Semester once classes commence in early September and continue to December with examinations taking place in mid-December. Classes in semester two recommence in late January and continue until early May, with examinations taking place in mid-late May. Students will be required to complete a project, which is due for submission in late June.
The programme is delivered using a blended approach, that is, a combination of distance/online learning materials combined with face-to-face tutorials and seminars. The online element facilitates the learning in tandem with the distance-education, hardcopy materials and periodic classroom contact. Students will be required to attend seminars on average once per month. Seminars will be held on a revolving basis at NUIG, UL and UCC. A sample schedule from 2015/2016 is available here.
Modules are assessed by a combination of written assignments during the semester and a formal examination at the end of each semester. A selection of assignments will be group based. The project module will be assessed completely by continuous assessment and is ideally based upon a project carried out within the student’s own organisation.
The programme comprises 30 ECTs of course credit. There are four individual modules and a project to complete. Each module is worth 5 ECTs while the company project is worth 10 ECTs .
A detailed module description can be found here:
- Innovation and Technology Transfer
- Marketing Technology Products
- Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Technology Finance & Capital
Graduates of the programme will be able to guide their companies to manage the innovation and commercialisation process more effectively.
“There is an excellent combination of observing, reading, discussion forums, assignments and studying. This combination along with the method of delivery allows the student flexibility in maintaining a good balance between work, study and personal life … and having instant access to the course via the internet; you never feel distant from your classmates or lecturers. The Diploma in Commercialisation Technology has been a real accelerator to my post-graduate education and has been an excellent stepping stone to the Masters programme which I am now pursuing.”
The fees for the Programme are 3,950 euro per annum.
This fee includes:
- Exam & Tutor Fees
- Course Materials
- Meals/Refreshments during seminars at the distance learning locations
This course has a limited number of free places for Springboard+ applicants.
The following are eligible to apply for Springboard+ funded courses in 2018/19 academic year (subject to the applicant meeting all requirements, e.g. academic requirements):
- Returners (Formerly referred to as Homemakers): may apply to all courses if they meet the nationality/visa requirement residency criteria. Course specific criteria may also apply.
- People in employment: may apply to all courses if they meet the nationality/visa requirement and residency criteria. Please note that a 10% course fee contribution for Level 7, 8, and 9 courses is applicable for employed participants. This is payable directly to the provider.
- The unemployed or formerly self-employed: all courses are open to these category of applicants, with the exception of the two-year part-time ICT conversion courses which are not open to those in receipt of a Jobseekers-related payment
Courses open to people in employment are denoted by the “Open to those in employment” tag which can be found in Search Courses
Please note that documentation supporting the applicants status will be required as part of the application process.
All Springboard+ applications for are made via the Springboard+ website. Closing date for Springboard+ applications is June 29, 2018
“Springboard+ is co-funded by the Government of Ireland and the European Social Fund as part of the ESF programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020.”
Apply Online section on this site.
Next Level Skillnet
This course has been approved by Next Level Skillnet for a fees subsidy of up to 20% for students whose company is a member of the Next Level Skillnet Network. There are also free places available for students who are unemployed and meet the required criteria by Next Level Skillnet.
Please note that there are only a limited number of subsidies available for both employed and unemployed students. Please visit www.nextlevel.ie for further information.
2019/2020 applications will open on April 1st, 2019
Applicants are expected to hold an undergraduate degree, 1st or 2nd class honours in any discipline, along with three years of relevant industrial experience; or an Ordinary or 3rd class honours undergraduate degree, along with five years of relevant industrial experience; or a recognised professional qualification and five years of relevant industrial experience.
Alternative Entry Route
Candidates who do not meet the minimum entry criteria may be interviewed to ascertain their suitability for the programme.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Therefore, you must ensure that you upload the required supporting documentation to your application;
• Official qualification and exam results (transcripts) to date: required for your highest qualification to date and any relevant awards. Applicants who have still to graduate must submit/upload on receipt.
• Personal statement: all applicants must submit a personal statement of approximately 600 words explaining why you wish to undertake the programme and outlining how it fits into your career objectives.
• Curriculum vitae: applicants to this programme are required to submit a current C.V.
• Passport or birth certificate: non NUIG-applicants only – a copy of your passport or birth certificate must also be submitted/uploaded.
• English language competency: If necessary, evidence of English language competency